February is not only the month to celebrate Valentine's day, but it is also National Heart Month. Just as it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle for a strong heart, the same goes for your home. Your HVAC system is the heart of your home and requires regular maintenance and upkeep.
Here are just a few ways that you can ensure that your HVAC unit has a long and healthy life.
1) Inspect, clean, or change air filters once a month.
Changing the filters is the single most straight forward HVAC maintenance task for you to do. When the air filter is dirty, it slows down the process of heating or cooling, and can negatively affect the building’s indoor air quality. Dust gathered on old filters gets circulated throughout your home when you turn on your HVAC unit. If you have serious allergy problems, consider investing in a HEPA air filter. These are considered to be the most effective residential air filters and can filter 99.97 percent of all particles.
2) Keep an eye on any issues.
It's important to proactively spot any issues with your HVAC unit. If you notice higher than usual utility bills, off noises or smells, or problems with home temperature, contact an HVAC specialist to ensure it's not part of a bigger issue.
3) Get seasonal maintenance checks
Preventative maintenance is key to a healthy HVAC system, and a comfortable, happy indoor environment. Reactive maintenance (only when it's needed) is a costly way to maintain your HVAC unit. Regular servicing can spot big problems while they are still small. Some of the biggest reasons to maintain your system regularly include:
- Save Energy - With the rising costs of energy, an HVAC unit running at peak efficiency can save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars each year in gas and electricity bills. Using less energy is good for the environment, too. During check-ups, your certified technician will test, check, clean, and inspect various components to ensure safe and proper functioning at maximum performance.
- Avoid Unnecessary Repairs – Regular maintenance checks can find minor problems before they become major ones. Qualified A. Borrelli technicians can suggest critical areas for maintenance long before those components are in danger of breaking down. Take care of multiple issues at once, and you'll have fewer visits from technicians disrupting your busy schedule or vacation.
- Extend the Life of your Units – HVAC units are complex machines with many components. If one part is failing, it can place a strain on all the other parts, leading to greater wear and tear on otherwise healthy components. Your unit will last longer if you replace the worn-out parts as soon as possible. Well maintained units can last up to 15 years.
With licensed, trained, and insured technicians in Westchester County, New York as well as Fairfield County, Connecticut, homeowners can count on A. Borrelli to handle their heating, cooling, and plumbing needs expediently. At A. Borrelli, we do HVAC and plumbing right, so call us today!