Air leaks can be costly for any homeowner and increase your monthly heating bill during the winter. Here are some tips and tricks to stop wall, window and door air leaks:
- Install a door sweep along the bottom of exterior doors to block out cold air
- Caulking or weather-stripping your doors and windows can also keep the cold air out. A cost effective alternative to this is window and door insulation foam.
- Cover single-pane windows with storm windows or replace them with more efficient double-pane low-emissivity windows
- Seal air leaks around fireplace chimneys, furnaces, and gas-fired water heater vents with fire-resistant materials such as sheet metal or sheetrock and furnace cement caulk
- Cover your kitchen exhaust fan to stop air leaks when not in use
- Check your dryer vent to be sure it is not blocked