Nearly one-fifth of all the energy consumed in the United States is used by commercial buildings. Cutting down the amount of energy wasted by a commercial building can save businesses a substantial amount of money.
Here’s how commercial buildings can significantly reduce their overall costs:
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient CFL or LED bulbs to promote greater energy-efficiency.
- Use shades and blinds to control direct sun through windows in summer to avoid an increase in temperature.
- Raise the temperature by a few degrees in the summer.
- Install solar shading features on east-, west- and south-facing facades.
- Save up to 25% on energy by making sure that areas in front of vents are clear of furniture and paper to allow for more airflow.
- Use high-efficiency light-emitting diode (LED) exit signs that have lower maintenance costs due to their extended life.