Healthy indoor air quality is extremely important to the well-being of everyone in your household. According to the EPA, Americans spend approximately 90 percent of their time indoors. Studies also show that 1 in 5 Americans suffer from either indoor or outdoor allergies, making it crucial that your HVAC system is up-to-date and its air ducts and vents are putting out clean air. That's where UV lights air purifiers come into play.
UV air purifiers are usually installed in your HVAC ducts to "clean" air that moves through. They use short-wave ultraviolet light (UV-C light)--the part of the light spectrum we don’t see--to fully eradicate airborne pathogens and microorganisms. They are effective in destroying a wide array of contaminants such as:
- Paint Fumes
- Pet Dander
- Dust & Dust Mites
UV lights are used for germicidal use in hospitals, restaurants, and grocery stores, and can be used to improve indoor air quality for residential HVAC systems. There are two types of UV lights for HAVC systems:
- Coil Sanitizing Lights - The indoor coil of your AC system is a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. These “stick type” coil UV lights shine directly onto the surface of the coil and sterilize the air handler coil.
- Air Sanitizing Lights - These germicidal lights are installed inside your HVAC ductwork and kill airborne germs and mold.
What are the benefits of installing UV lights?
- Eliminate Airborne Bacteria - A traditional filter doesn't stop bacteria from filtering into your home air. UV filters and air sanitizing lights installed inside of your HVAC ductwork kill airborne germs and mold. This stops the smell of mildew from cycling into the air that you and your family breathe.
- Eliminate Odors - Your HVAC system can circulate odors of tobacco, paint, and other contaminants throughout your home. Some of these are even dangerous for your health. UV lights help eliminate these odors from the air so you can breathe easier.
- Improved Airflow - Ultraviolet light reduces contaminants that built up in your system’s ductwork. This allows for better airflow that allows your HVAC system to run more efficiently and reduces your home’s energy use.
- Improve HVAC Efficiency - Installing UV lights in your HVAC unit helps remove buildup in ductwork and pipes and in cooling coils. With improved airflow, you can see your home’s energy consumption reduced by as much as 35 percent. This increased efficiency translates into reduced energy costs and less maintenance over the long term.
Indoor air quality testing is essential to your health and the health of other occupants of your space. Contact A. Borrelli today to see how you can install UV lights in your home.