Spring has arrived in Westchester! Get ready for the warm summer weather with these energy saving tips and ease the strain on your utility bills from the recent winter weather.
- Service your air conditioner: Routinely replacing/cleaning air filters can lower your A/C system’s energy consumption by up to 15 percent. Have a HVAC technician check your cooling system annually to ensure optimal performance.
- Open your windows: Opening windows can create a cross-wise, breeze, which allows you to naturally cool your home. This is ideal for spring, when temperatures are mild.
- Install window treatments: Energy efficient window treatments or coverings such as blinds, shades and films can reduce heat gain when temperatures rise, reducing energy costs.
- Use programmable thermostat: You can save up to 10% on energy costs by setting your thermostat to a higher setting when you are not at home.
- Do laundry and dishes in the evening: Household appliances like laundry machines and dishwashers can create heat and lead to higher energy costs to cool the home. Do chores that cause heat gain at night.
- Use ceiling fans: Running a ceiling fan counterclockwise creates a breeze that makes your home feel cool, allowing you to lower your thermostat settings and your cooling costs.
While some of these tasks can be done by homeowners, others require a technician. Contact A. Borrelli for your annual HVAC checkup and make sure your cooling system is running efficiently.